Wikipedia is a massive and influential global presence: you should be aware of it and view it as a critical medium in your communication portfolio.
- Wikipedia is the 6th most visited website on the web.
- It has 2.7 billion page views a month.
- It is usually among the top two results for a Google search on any company or person.
- Google uses Wikipedia information to create “Infoboxes” about companies and people, positioned even more prominently than search results.
- Despite widespread problems with accuracy and bias, it is viewed as a highly trustworthy source by much of the public and is frequently relied on by the press, even more than official websites.
- Amazon’s Alexa uses Wikipedia information to answer questions about companies and topics.